Monday, 6 January 2014

choosing student accommodation

If you are looking for student accommodation, you will usually have several options; halls of residence (a room in the university halls, although, in many cases these are limited to first year students), a room in a student house (where you rent 1 room in a house directly from a private landlord), a student house (you and a group of other students rent a house and you are responsible for the entire rent regardless if one of the other students vacates the property) or living with your parents (perhaps not the coolest solution, but certainly more financially achievable if you are within commuting distance of your university).
When making your choice you need to consider financially which options are open to you. If you are living in a privately rented house you will need to pay for not only your accommodation but bills (which are not usually included in the rent) such as gas and electric, council tax (although this is sometimes included so you would need to confirm this with each individual landlord you meet with regarding renting a property), water rates, TV license, and of course other day to day costs including food costs, clothing and health and beauty costs. Although this may seem daunting remember that you will be in shared accommodation and will be jointly responsible for bills – council tax usually comes in around £140 a month (depending on area)  and will be discounted for students, you will then be splitting this amount by the number of people renting rooms in the property. Again, the same with household bills such as heating etc. But you will need to consider how you arrange any differences – if you go home in the holidays but others stay so how will the bills be worked out for this period? Will you just split all the bills evenly or will you work out usage amounts for specific times and split them? You are going to be relying on all members of the household jointly being responsible and none of them refusing to pay any bills. How will you overcome this situation if it arises?

Living in a student house is slightly more complicated as it involves making a rental agreement for the house. You would be responsible for finding and replacing any member of the household who decides to leave, so if somebody drops out of uni half way through the year, you would be responsible for finding somebody to pay their share of the rent and live in their room – if you can’t then you would be responsible for finding the extra cash (between those living in the house) to pay the shortfall!
If you are living in university halls there is usually a one of monthly fee which includes all costs. Quite often there will also be a cleaner who services the property too which will be an added bonus! If you are a quiet, hard working student, consider that not all students will be quite as diligent. How will you manage if there are students being loud and partying while you are trying to work or sleep and how will this impact your studies?

If your parents live within commuting distance of your university, this will certainly be more than likely the cheapest accommodation you will find – which will give you more time to study rather than trying to work to find the money to pay your bills. You will probably not have the freedom you would have as a student living away from home so consider what you want from your time at university and what is most important to you.

For great quality student accommodation in nottingham take a look here at shields student homes


  1. according to your said, usually landlords provide their renter several , half of residence and mostly many things, but nowadays landlords do not give them this opportunity that is become bigger problem for accommodates students.

    Best student accommodation in Huddersfield | Where can I live close to Huddersfield University

  2. The information you have posted is very useful. The sites you have referred was good. Thanks for sharing this: hosting for students